Commentary Guest Column Guidelines
The Association of Alaska School Boards’ Commentary newsletter features a mix of news and information focused on Alaska education issues and policies. It is distributed by email to about 1000 in-state and national subscribers each month.
Inclusion in Commentary is a good way to directly reach our readers, which include school board members, superintendents, members of education organizations, legislators, businesses, and citizens with an interest in education issues.
In an effort to inform and inspire, we strive to highlight examples of Alaska districts, schools, programs and projects that are embracing innovation and forging new ways to deliver instruction more efficiently and effectively to our students.
Guest Columns from a variety of educational leaders, policy makers and innovators are regularly featured in Commentary. The guidelines for submitting a Guest Column for publication are simple:
- Column length can be anywhere from 400-1000 words (about 1-2 pages).
- Photos (up to 8) that illustrate the topic you’re writing about are welcomed.
- Providing captions for each photo is helpful.
- Please send a “head shot” photo of the author to include with the column.
- Include links to any resource materials, web pages, movies, etc. that support the column topic.
- The deadline for Guest Column submissions is the 25th of each month. A new issue of Commentary is distributed a few days later, usually on the last day of the month.
- If you plan on submitting a column, please drop us an email a few days in advance of the 25th deadline to let us know your column is coming.
That’s it! What stories do you have to share with Commentary readers? We look forward to hearing from you!
Please Note: The views expressed in Guest Columns are the writer’s and are not necessarily endorsed by the Association of Alaska School Boards. AASB welcomes diverse perspectives and civil discourse. To submit a Guest Column for consideration, email your submission HERE.