The Association of Alaska School Boards is proud to announce its 20th Annual Scholarship Award Competition. The June Nelson Memorial Scholarship is named in honor of the late, June Nelson, longtime school board member from Kotzebue. June contributed much to the cause of education, and will be remembered for her outstanding service on behalf of Alaska’s children.
This 2010-2011 school year, AASB will award ten graduating seniors each with a $1,000 scholarship to apply toward their post-secondary education. The scholarship may be applied toward the student’s choice of a business, trade, or college institution.
In schools, in the workplace, on television, even in our Congress, we see people intimidating, harassing, bullying, and victimizing others. How can you or how would you help to create a culture of tolerance where people cooperate, are respectful and kind to one another, and defend those who are being victimized or discriminated against?
<<Application Form>> deadline: March 21, 2011
The Association of Alaska School Boards is pleased to announce its 20th Annual June Nelson Memorial Scholarship Award. Ten $1,000 scholarships will be awarded this year.
The student shall submit the following:
• AASB application form, located above.
• Copy of high school transcript with cumulative GPA.
• Acceptance letter from a business, trade or college institution. (If you haven’t been formally accepted, you may send your application package to AASB without the acceptance letter, but don’t forget to send it ASAP or by March 21, 2011.)
• Response to the essay question.
• Two (2) letters of recommendation (one from a community member and one from teacher).
• SAT or ACT Scores.
• Completed student involvement form.
• The student must be graduating this 2010-2011 school year.
• The student must be accepted as a full-time student by either a business, trade or college institution.
• Student graduating from AASB’s member school districts will be considered for the scholarship award.
The winners of the June Nelson Memorial Scholarship Awards will be announced March 29, 2011. Recipients will receive the scholarship in two parts. The first payment of $500 will be awarded upon high school graduation. The second payment of $500 will be awarded if a 2.5 GPA is maintained during the first semester at a higher education institution and the student is enrolled in the second semester. The recipient is responsible for notifying AASB that he/she has enrolled for the second term and shall provide a copy of his or her grade report.
The June Nelson Memorial Scholarship is funded by individual contributions of school board members and administrators from across the state.
Return application materials with essay to: June Nelson Memorial Scholarship/ Association of Alaska School Boards, 1111 West 9th Street, Juneau, AK 99801