June Nelson Memorial Scholarship
29th Annual June Nelson Scholarship Competition
Apply Now to Win a $1,500 Scholarship
Application Deadline: Midnight, March 16, 2020
Winners Announced: Saturday, March 28, 2020
APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE:
No applications from any first or second-year applicants will be considered unless their school district is a member of the Association of Alaska School Boards. We are currently not accepting applications from MatSu, Valdez or Aleutians Region school districts.
2ND YEAR APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE:
ONLY students who were awarded a scholarship in 2019 are qualified to apply for the 2nd year scholarship.
The Association of Alaska School Boards is proud to announce its 29th Annual Scholarship Award Competition. The June Nelson Memorial Scholarship is named in honor of the late June Nelson, a longtime school board member from Kotzebue. June contributed much to the cause of education and will be remembered for her outstanding service on behalf of Alaska’s children.
This 2019-2020 school year, AASB will award fifteen $1,500 scholarships to apply toward post-secondary education. Thirteen of these scholarships are available for graduating seniors and two may be awarded to returning college sophomores. The scholarship may be applied toward the student’s choice of a business, trade, or a college institution.
HOW TO APPLY
1. Review Scholarship Guidelines
2. Gather Information
You will need to supply the following information:
- Your name and school information
- Response to the essay question – up to 750 words in length (attach PDF)
- Student involvement and activities history
- Copy of high school transcript with cumulative GPA (attach PDF)
- Acceptance letter from a business, trade or college institution. (attach PDF)
- Two (2) letters of recommendation – one from a community member, one from a teacher. (attach PDF)
- SAT or ACT Scores (attach PDF)
3. Complete the online application
PLEASE NOTE: You Cannot Save A Session and Return to Complete it Later.
Follow these instructions carefully to complete the online application:
- Have all materials ready before you begin the application. All documentation must be submitted to the online form in a PDF format.
- You must upload all required documents in the same session that you complete your application for it to be submitted as “Complete.”
- Once your application has been submitted completely, you will receive a confirmation e-mail.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered for scholarship awards.
- If you are having difficulty with the online process please call or email Steph Long at AASB for assistance. 907-463-1660 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Who Was June Nelson?
AASB is pleased to honor the late June Nelson, long-time school board member from Kotzebue. June contributed much to the cause of education through her long career as a school board member. She had many accomplishments during her service as an education activist. She served on the Northwest Arctic Borough School Board and was appointed by two different governors to serve on the State Board of Education. June gave unselfishly of herself. She served on numerous local and statewide committees in a demonstration of commitment to her community.
We remember June for her ability to make us laugh when we were in the midst of an intense debate. She could fiercely disagree with you on an issue and yet set it aside to maintain a friendly, respectful relationship. She challenged us to be the best we could be. She filled our lives with laughter and fun times. Most important, we will remember June for her outstanding service on behalf of Alaska’s children.