Here are answers to questions we are frequently asked.
- If our Board has the capability for online remote voting, and the voting results are displayed for the board and the public on the screen (and captured in the recording), is there a need for roll call voting to be done?
- What happens when the public wants to engage in conversation during a meeting?
- Where should the superintendent’s evaluation go on the board agenda?
- Our meeting agenda includes curriculum maps for approval. Is this different than adopting a curriculum that gives the public time to review and provide feedback before the board approves it?
- When AASB produces updates on board policy who adds these to our board policy, which is online?
- When do boards have committee and working sessions? How is this different from executive session, as both seem to be private?
- What is a board member’s role on a standing committee of the board?
- What constitutes an excused absence?
- What is the board’s role and oversight in the district’s involvement with grants?
- Why is our superintendent an ex-officio member of our board?
- How do I add an agenda item after the agenda has been posted?
- Why does the AASB Superintendent Search Application Form state “The superintendent position requires an Alaska Type B certificate with a superintendent endorsement.”?
- What are the reasons a board can go into executive session?
- Regarding Superintendent recruitment and selection, is there board policy or state statute concerning how school boards recruit and hire either the superintendents’ position or a chief school administrator?
- What does it mean to censure a board member? When would a board take such action?
- What is the process for filling a vacant seat on our board?
- Are there, or will there be, any updated policies specifically related to Sexual Assault & Dating Violence?
- Is there a statute regarding an Advisory School Board (ASB) holding an executive session?
- Is there a generic ‘job description’ for board members on committees?
- When filling a vacant board slot, what questions should applicants be asked during interviews?
- Should a School Board’s by-laws state the amount of time a board meeting should be in session (ie. 7-9PM or 6-10PM?)
- What are the rules on making the newly elected Board Members official after an election. How many days do we have?
- When a site closes in a Regional Educational Attendance Area (REAA) can sites still have an Advisory School Board?
- My board is wanting to go paperless, what can AASB do to help us with this?
- What are the kinds of workshops that AASB can offer my board or APC?
# # #