Here are answers to questions we are frequently asked.
- Our meeting agenda includes curriculum maps for approval. Is this different than adopting a curriculum that gives the public time to review and provide feedback before the board approves it?
- When AASB produces updates on board policy who adds these to our board policy, which is online?
- When do boards have committee and working sessions? How is this different from executive session, as both seem to be private?
- What is a board member’s role on a standing committee of the board?
- What constitutes an excused absence?
- What is the board’s role and oversight in the district’s involvement with grants?
- Why is our superintendent an ex-officio member of our board?
- How do I add an agenda item after the agenda has been posted?
- Why does the AASB Superintendent Search Application Form state “The superintendent position requires an Alaska Type B certificate with a superintendent endorsement.”?
- What are the reasons a board can go into executive session?
- Regarding Superintendent recruitment and selection, is there board policy or state statute concerning how school boards recruit and hire either the superintendents’ position or a chief school administrator?
- What does it mean to censure a board member? When would a board take such action?
- What is the process for filling a vacant seat on our board?
- Are there, or will there be, any updated policies specifically related to Sexual Assault & Dating Violence?
- Is there a statute regarding an Advisory School Board (ASB) holding an executive session?
- Is there a generic ‘job description’ for board members on committees?
- When filling a vacant board slot, what questions should applicants be asked during interviews?
- Should a School Board’s by-laws state the amount of time a board meeting should be in session (ie. 7-9PM or 6-10PM?)
- What are the rules on making the newly elected Board Members official after an election. How many days do we have?
- When a site closes in a Regional Educational Attendance Area (REAA) can sites still have an Advisory School Board?
- My board is wanting to go paperless, what can AASB do to help us with this?
- What are the kinds of workshops that AASB can offer my board or APC?
# # #