AASB’s Leadership Academy: Legislative Fly-In & Youth Advocacy Institute 2023
Daily breakfast will be provided, and lunch on Sunday will be provided!
- 2023 AASB Legislative Priorities
- Who represents your school district? Find Your Senators and Representatives
- Legislative Advocacy Resources for School Districts
Leadership Academy & Legislative Fly-In
February 4-7, 2023
Plan to attend this year’s Leadership Academy & Legislative Fly-In in Juneau to be briefed on key legislative issues, meet in like-size district forums to identify legislation that can be supported by AASB, develop talking points for legislative priorities, and meet with legislators and other decision-makers!
Guest Instructor: Marissa Rathbone
Director of Strategic Advocacy, Washington State School Directors Association
Marissa will bring a fresh and well-developed set of advocacy skills to share at our training. She is an educator at heart and a lifetime advocate for public education with over 25 years working in education and state government. She believes that public education is the basis of a thriving economy and healthy society and loves being able to work with locally-elected school board members to strengthen this foundation.
- Saturday 2/4: Learning how to be effective advocates and being educational advocacy leaders in your district and community.
- Sunday 2/5: Focus on the make-up of the next legislature, Bills that have been introduced, and working on crafting your advocacy message for meetings with legislators, both in-person and remotely.
- Monday 2/6 & Tuesday 2/7: Reserved for school board members and superintendents to meet with their legislators and others.
Contact Jenni Lefing for more information on the Leadership Academy & Legislative Fly-In.
Youth Advocacy Institute (YAI)
February 4-7, 2023
This year’s Youth Advocacy Institute is designed for high school students who want to be immersed in the Alaska legislative process.
- Learn how a bill becomes a law,
- Discuss key legislative issues influencing education this year,
- Participate in mock testimony, and
- Advocate for legislation (alongside their school board) that affects them and their communities, all for public education.
Contact Claudia Plesa for more information on the Youth Advocacy Institute (YAI).