RESOURCES: Bonus Pre-Fall Boardsmanship Academy Day
Bonus Pre-Fall Boardsmanship Academy Day
Friday September 17, 2021 at the Lakefront Anchorage.
Focus: A deep dive into School Board and Superintendent Relations led by a knowledgeable panel of presenters.
Topics: Developing a strategic plan, goal setting, superintendent evaluation, contracts and improvement plans.
Pre-Academy Day Presenters
The Rudder; “Helping Guide the Boat” – John Sedor, Sedor Wendlandt Evans & Filippi
- Superintendent Contract and Messaging
- Superintendent Evaluation; Don’t let it be an Anchor
- Extension of Superintendent contract
The Weather; “Avoiding Troubled Water” – Dr. Deena Bishop, Superintendent, Anchorage School District | Slides
- Social Media; Chasing Red Herrings
- Issues with Press/Union/Parents
- How to navigate tough issues?
The Crew; “Keeping the Boat Afloat” – Dave Herbert, Retired Superintendent, St. Mary’s, Alaska
- Teamwork between the Board and the Superintendent
- Crew concerns, complaints, and mutiny; Understanding personnel roles; Governance vs. Management
- Challenges of the Role of Board President
The Boat; “Setting the Course” – Timi Tullis, Association of Alaska School Boards | Slides
- Strategic Planning and Annual Goals
- The Board and the Board Member – When the Winds Blow in Different Directions
- Board/Superintendent Communications
- Board Norms/Teamwork