FAFSA Resources for Students, Families, Schools, and Districts
What is the FAFSA?
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the form you need to fill out to get any financial aid from the federal government to help pay for college. Each year, over 13 million students who file the FAFSA get more than $120 billion in grants, work-study, and low-interest loans from the U.S. Department of Education.
When do I file the FAFSA?
You should file the FAFSA as early as possible. The FAFSA becomes available on October 1 each year. October is the best time to file the FAFSA if you plan to start a postsecondary program. Don’t hesitate to file your FAFSA later in the year even if you missed the best time to file – you may still qualify for some aid. Some institutions have very early FAFSA deadlines.
FAFSA Resources for Students & Families
The Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education (ACPE) offers multiple pathways to assist students and families in completing the FAFSA submission process. To complete the FAFSA, students/families are required to have certain documents accessible, as well as their FSAID (Federal Student Aid Identification).
- FAFSA Wednesdays Series – Every Wednesday from 3pm to 6pm Alaska Standard Time, ACPE offers assistance via Zoom to students and families who need to create their FSAID or are ready to complete the FAFSA (with all documentation in order and FSAID). Students and families can drop in at any time during the 3pm – 6pm timeframe on Zoom in order to access assistance with FAFSA completion. FAFSA Wednesdays are free to attend and no registration is required! Attend via Zoom: https://zoom.us/j/94716517297?pwd=Y0FjMm5jWEhrYlJmMHpoSXE3czgyQT09#success
- Schedule an appointment with ACPE Success Center staff through our online booking platform, youcanbook.me, a student and/or parent, can schedule a time during the week with Success Center staff to create their FSAID and complete the FAFSA.
- Download Financial Aid Resources – ACPE offers a variety of financial aid resources that are available for download. The ACPE Success Center Material page has information about FAFSA, Alaska Education Grant, Alaska Performance Scholarship, and ACPE’s student loan programs.
- This FAFSA Process graphic created by the Federal Student Aid office illustrates the process of preparing for, completing, and submitting a FAFSA form and includes information on what happens after the form is submitted.
- Here is a list of documents and personal information needed to apply from the Federal Student Aid office.
FAFSA resources for Schools & Districts
- Host a FAFSA Time Alaska (FTA) Event – ACPE will provide you with the free resources and information (handouts, materials, etc.) to host a FAFSA completion event/session for your students and their families. Offering virtual support from ACPE, you will have access to the tools you need to help your students complete the FAFSA. Your participation is expected during an FTA event. Registration for FAFSA Time Alaska events is required. To register, please click here. If you have additional questions, contact Dominika Szpotanska.