Funding Award Supports “Cradle to Career” Collaboration for Southeast Partners
By Lori Grassgreen
Director of Alaska ICE
The Association of Alaska School Boards, the Central Council of Tlingit and Haida Indian Tribes of Alaska and more than 20 district and community partners will work together to identify and implement seamless “Cradle to Career” programs, services and supports to achieve ten key results for select Southeast communities:
- Children enter Kindergarten ready to succeed in school
- Students are proficient in core academic subjects
- Students successfully transition from middle school grades to high school.
- High school graduates obtain a post-secondary degree certification or credential
- Students graduate from high school
- Students are healthy
- Students feel safe at school and in their community
- Students live in stable communities
- Families and community members support learning in schools
- Students have access to 21st-century learning tools
This opportunity is made possible through a newly awarded, five year, US Department of Education Promise Neighborhoods Grant, and currently includes the communities of Hydaburg, Kake, Angoon, Sitka, Hoonah, Juneau, and Klukwan.
The Supporting Transitions and Educational Promise in Southeast Alaska (STEPS AK) grant brings together community members, families, organizational and school partners, as partners to align and strengthen early childhood supports, K-12 strategies, post-secondary preparation, and prevention and engagement activities.
Most significantly, this collective impact opportunity places community engagement, family engagement, educational equity and creates conditions to support students and families collaboratively.
Click Here to view a graphic outlining the full spectrum of solutions being implemented and expanded in the region.
The following STEPS AK partners are committed to working together to improve outcomes for Southeast Alaska families:
- Central Council of Tlingit and Haida Indian Tribes of Alaska
- Chatham School District
- Juneau City School District
- Kake City School District
- Hoonah City School District
- Hydaburg City School District
- Sitka School District
- Alaska Afterschool Network
- Alaska Mental Health Board/ Alaska Board of Alcohol and Drug Abuse
- The Association of Education for Young Children- Southeast Alaska
- Aiding Women in Abuse and Rape Emergencies
- State of Alaska – Department of Education and Early Development
- State of Alaska- Council on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault
- Southeast Alaska Regional Health Consortium
- Sitkans Against Family Violence
- Juneau Suicide Prevention Coalition
- Raising our Children Kindly Juneau
- United Front- Hydaburg
- United Way of Southeast Alaska
- University of Alaska – Southeast
- Volunteers of America Alaska – Healthy Voices, Healthy Choices Coalition
- Zach Gordon Youth Center
For more information about the STEPS AK contact Lori Grassgreen.
# # #